Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve at The 8-Bit Variety Show!

It's MegaMan... With Santa's powers. Take a moment and think
about the implications of that.
Yeah, that image of MegaMan standing over Santa's body is BitNick's Christmas gift to you.

Ho Ho Ho there, dear readers!

Because this is my website, and I can do whatever I want to do, I wanted to meet you all here, in Christmas cyberspace, to give you your gifts and say a few things that I've wanted to say all year.

First, for all of you good boys and girls, I present two pictures, one old (for those who remember the golden age of Rare and Nintendo), and one new (for everyone who knows ANYTHING about gaming):

First, the old:
May your holidays be haunted by images of toothless, leering monkey-mouths.

I actually remember the issue of Nintendo Power where this image first ran, which dates me terribly. Nonetheless, I was there for the golden age Rareware, and played all of the Donkey Kong Country games like crazy.

Now, for your second Christmas gift:

I found this, and it made me happy.

Now, with presents out of the way, there's some things I want to say.

The first is simple: THANK YOU!

Thank you for reading, for listening, for commenting, for sharing, for liking, mailing, caring, inquiring, and any other "ing" that you may have engaged in for the benefit of BitNick or The 8-Bit Variety Show (although we'd prefer if you kept any of the unsavory "ings" to yourself for the forseeable future)!

I started this site because I wanted to write, and I wanted to write about things that I cared about. I had hoped that there would be readers, but I didn't know if there would be. Now, a year, a podcast, and many articles later, I count most of you as great friends, and a very few others as much-needed enemies. I count myself lucky that there are vastly more of the former than the latter.

I also wanted to say a special thank you to our contributors this year! Although most of the articles this year were written by me (of which, 80% were apologies... at least, it felt that way sometimes) we had some INCREDIBLY solid articles, pieces of art, and podcast contributors who helped make The 8-Bit Variety Show! into something that I LOVED to do. Thank you Warza, Jobot, Kender, and Mrs. Bit for your part in 8BitVS, and here's to hoping for even more good times for all of us in 2012.

The people I've thanked here, comparably meager though your numbers may be, are the reason I love it here. As far as 2012 goes, LET'S DO THIS.

Yours in deepest thanks,

-St. (Bit)Nick

P.S. ....Still here? Alright, here's one last Christmas gift from me to you. I give you "Carol of The Bells" by Rush Coil, an 8-bit band.

9 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you BitNick, and to the rest of the 8BitVS crew/contributors! I've been following the site since it's infancy, or...beginning rather, and I'm astounded with how fantastic 8BitVS has become since then (albeit I did enjoy from the start, just much more so now). Always cranking out major quality content be it articles, artwork, or the V-Cast! This groovy hangout in cyberspace has a bright future my friend. Happy holidays, and I'll be looking forward to what 2012 brings.

    P.S. I deeply appreciate the gifts. All 3 filled me with heaps of nerdy joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, BitNick!

    I loved your 2nd image, and amusingly, used it on my blog upon stumbling onto it elsewhere as well. Great Nick-minds think alike?

    http://chalgyrsgameroom.blogspot.com/2011/12/gaming-thoughts-holiday-games-part-1.html

    LOL. That said - first off, you're welcome - but really it's a thank you as well. You put the content out there I (and the others) enjoy reading and it definitely takes up time to do so. Honestly? Your blogging motivations sound pretty much spot-on to mine and what was going through my head when I started and I enjoy coming here and seeing what's on your mind.

    Hope you had a great Christmas and have a great New Year. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Dawmination
    Thanks for always being there, man! I knew that you were a follower of the site, but it seems like you only recently took a really "hands-on" approach in the community here. Glad to always have your support! Also, glad the gifts accomplished their goal... :)

    @ Chalgyr
    Merry Christmas, Chalgyr! It is pretty crazy that we used the same image... and judging by your publish date, I am the copycat! You win this round, Chalgyr...

    I appreciate your contrubutions, thoughts, compliments, and criticisms. We are both out here for similar reasons, and that means we have a certain connection, a comraderie that unites us! Glad to have you here!

    Also, a little birdy (who we'll call Incomplete G., no, that's too obvious... I. Gamer) told me that you got a 3DS for Christmas! I INSIST that we become 3DS friends. That is all.

    Thanks for commenting, guys! Looking forward to 2012!

    -BitNick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas BitNick! Glad you're here pumping out the content you do and I swear I'll get back to those podcasts and other posts that I have earmarked. :)

    Also, a little birdy (who we'll call Incomplete G Wha? Who? Nothing like announcing some great 3DS news via 3DS SwapNote!

    Speaking of super nerdy that music was really great! It's like a festive MegaMan level or something.

    Hm, that first pic may make a good Pushmo level...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL @ robert - I still need to download Pushmo - but having read about it? That's a fun observation you made about the pic

    @BitNick - I think you hit it on the head with several remarks on there, and in a way - video gaming has always lent itself to some level of 'community' even if it was competitive community at the arcades, or inviting a friend over to play games. Just now with all these intertubes we have access to, and the online game connectivity (even though I don't play a TON of online games myself) - I think it's a lot more fun, and a lot more viable for gamers to talk to one another and compare/contrast experiences. :)

    Also - yes... my pic came first. ;) Ha! (1 up for the competitive side of gaming)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey BitNick!

    Since this is your most recent post, I just figured I'd drop in here and say:

    Happy New Year!

    Loved seeing the increased posting of late, enjoyed the podcasts and really just enjoyed getting to you know and fellow posters on here in 2011 - and looking forward to more of your sense of humor in what will hopefully be an even better 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good idea, Chalgyr! Guess I'll drop off my New Year's wishes here as well.

    So Happy New Year to you BitNick, and all you other 8 Bit VS Frequenters! Not much I can say besides what's already been said, but here's to a great new year! I'll be eagerly awaiting new articles, 8 Bit V-Cast Ep. 5, and anything else you decide to post here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since the two posts above me show December 31, 2011...I just wanted to be the first to say HAPPY 2012!

    Also, a very late happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks guys! I appreciate all of you coming here all the time.

    I hope you all have a happy new year as well!

    -BitNick

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...